COWSHED

Monday 28 July 2008

Fortunately...Unfortunately...

It was a little like playing an elongated game of fortunately, unfortunately this weekend...


...

Unfortunately my sister's laptop ate everything on the hard drive and it needed to be repaired; closest Apple shop to my parents - Southampton... but fortunately I had discovered that Southampton's Oxfam shop was one of only 10 Oxfam bridal shops across the UK and that they could fit me in for an appointment at 3pm


...


Unfortunately we got caught in a massive traffic jam on the M27 but fortunately we arrived only 5 minutes late so we still had enough time to browse properly and the owner didn't mind that we overran slightly


...


Unfortunately I didn't like any of the dresses on the size 8 or 10 rail or they didn't fit... but fortunately I chose to look through the 12 rail anyway as I found my dress

...


Unfortunately it will need taking in a teensy bit on the hips at the moment (but who knows next year) but fortunately I know someone that can do that for me and fortunately all the money from the dress will go to help someone less fortunate than me

...

And then the next day fortunately we were able to make a visit to our old university town to look at some potential venues (unfortunately we were stuck in the car for many hours on a gorgeous hot day)

...

fortunately the photographer was able to meet us in the town centre at her studio rather than her being out somewhere and fortunately we got on very well with her and fortunately my mother had brought her cheque book with her, so we have booked the fabulous KT. Fortunately, I cannot think of any unfortunately to match this...

...

unfortunately the chapel was closed and being a Sunday there was no porter in sight. Fortunately there were some small windows left open for ventilation so my mother was able to peer through the window, rather like a burglar casing the joint, only I don't think burglars mutter things like "so the choir would be sitting there" and "were you proposing to have a pedestal of flowers either side of the altar". At least I don't think they do.

...

unfortunately the venue we had hoped might worked was doomed from the off: it was harder to find that we remembered, access was via a narrow bridge, it was full of people, the manager could not be found and when he could be we realised he had misled us on the phone and the pub was neither for hire as he had indicated nor would he let us bring our own wine and champagne for a corkage fee. Instead he was proposing for us to hire an area of the grounds and we would have to serve their house wine with the meal. "would we have private use of the outside bar?" I queried, "well, yes" he responded evasively, "apart from the odd person who might try and get served quicker outside"... It quickly became obvious that this man would have been unable, as my Dad put it, to organise a "piss up in a brewery", which was apt as he did work for a brewery...

...

fortunately I remembered another venue deeper into the countryside who I had spoken to earlier in the week as our chosen date had become free. Unfortunately by the time we reached it the house was closed but fortunately we snuck up the driveway a little and managed to have a quick look without being caught. And it was gorgeous. Peaceful. Amazing views, beautiful grounds... We shall see.




...

1 comment:

pierre l said...

I'm out of breath reading this, but it does sound as though things are going well. Well done with solving the dress issue.