COWSHED

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Before Midnight


I read today that Richard Linklater's film Before Midnight (link contains plot spoilers) premiered at the Sundance Film Festival last weekend. Apparently the sequel was mooted back in the autumn of 2012 as a finished film, but I missed this, only reading about it on A Cup of Jo this afternoon. I can't find any kind of release date but Jo mentions September in the US.

If you haven't seen either of the first two films (Before Sunrise, 1995 & Before Sunset, 2004) you must see them. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy essentially spend the first two films talking - like you might imagine the most romantic of meetings to be, where the conversation just flows and you don't even notice that it's suddenly dawn. In 1995 they have one night in Vienna; in 2004, they are in Paris for an afternoon. My husband introduced me to the first film whilst we were at university and I am sure that he envisioned falling in love to be a bit like meeting Julie Delpy (which of course it was...!).

I can't wait to see Before Midnight - just don't make the mistake of reading the Guardian review which contains both a massive plot spoiler and is strangely negative amongst a general sea of hugely positive reviews.

---
Photograph: Despina Spyrou/AP

1 comment:

Alexandra Grace said...

I randomly watched before Sunrise the other night, without realising that Before Midnight existed. How funny.